You've bought a pattern and now you're ready to sew it up! Read below to learn about printing patterns and using a projector:
Instructions for Printing at Home
- Download Instructions and Letter files. You can access these by the link emailed to you or by logging into your account, under the ‘My Downloads’ section. If you get an ‘account does not exist’ message, create an account using the email address used to purchase patterns.
- Print on standard letter or A4 size paper using the latest version of Adobe Reader. Ensure that your printer settings are set to print at 100% (not "fit to page").
- A printing instructions page can be found in the pattern instructions file. Please note: these instructions are for printing from a computer.
- Printing from a mobile device: Download the free Xodo app on iOS and Android to access the layers feature.
- Assemble the printed pattern pages in the order specified in Cut and Tape guide included in the instructions.
Printing Troubleshooting (Pattern not printing correctly)
- Entire pattern printing on one page? Make sure you're using the ‘Letter’ file. The A0 is designed to print on large A0 paper at a copy shop. The projector files are only for use with a projector.
- Restart your computer, then open the file again. This clears the memory and memory cache and solves the problem most of the time!
- Use the 'print as image' option, found in the print dialog box under the ‘advanced’ button
- Ensure that the page size is set to letter size (or A4 if not in the US)
- Make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader (updates often include fixes for common problems)
- Make sure you update to the latest printer driver. Manufacturers offer updated drivers to improve compatibility with newer software, such as newer versions of Reader and Acrobat.
Printing from Copyshop:
- Download the instructions and copyshop (A0) file.
- Send the file to a local print shop or an online service such as pdfplotter.com
- Consider printing one master copy and then tracing each size needed using Pelon tracing paper.
Projecting Sewing Patterns:
- For help with the specifics of projector set up and calibration, please refer to the ‘Projectors for Sewing’ Facebook group. Once you calibrate your projector and find the correct zoom, you should be able to use the same zoom every time. However, we recommend checking the scale each time you sew. If the projector or cutting surface is moved, the projector will need to be recalibrated.
- Download the file labeled ‘projector’ and check the scale using the layer titled 'calibration'. Each square should measure 1” (2.5 cm) and the yellow square should measure 2” (5cm). Note: the calibration layer is hidden by default because most projectors are stationary. You'll need to enable this layer to see the calibration square.
- Text labeling pattern pieces is not visible - ensure that the 'text and markers' layer is visible. If still not visible, go to the 'Edit' tab, select 'preferences', then select 'accessibility' and uncheck the box next to 'replace document colors'.
- Use the free Xodo app to make annotations if the pattern is too large to fit on your screen.
- Rotating patterns: Mac - hold command, shift and + or -. Windows - ctrl, shift and + or -.
- For a black background, check the box next to ‘Black Background’ in the layers panel